Monday, May 25, 2009

Deforestation in My Backyard


In our family, and for many Minnesotans, Memorial Day marks the beginning of lake season. We spent the lovely weekend at our family cabin in northern Wisconsin. It was gorgeous weather and a fabulously relaxing time.

The landscape is beautiful, with rolling hills and northern pines filling the heavily wooded forests which surround hundreds of lakes. But now the landscape is changing. Since last summer, a shocking amount of logging has taken place in these forests, and it's truly devastating.

It's a concrete reminder of why I use only 100% post-consumer recycled paper for my stationery products. My parents will never see these forests again. Heck, my kids probably won't see them either. Recycling the paper we use daily and buying recycled paper products are just a couple of easy things we can do to make a difference. I do it, and I encourage you to, too. Our kids deserve it.

No comments: